OF THE VICE PRIME MINISTER OF THE RUSSIAN FEDERATION
IGOR IVANOVICH SECHIN AND THE MINISTER OF ENERGY AND NATURAL
RESOURCES OF THE REPUBLIC OF TURKEY TANER YILDIZ CONCERNING
COOPERATION FOR CONSTRUCTION OF A NUCLEAR POWER PLANT
IN THE REPUBLIC OF TURKEY
The Vice Prime Minister of the Russian Federation, H.E. Igor Ivanovich Sechin and the Minister of Energy and Natural Resources of the Republic of Turkey H.E. Taner Yildiz
The excellent level of cooperation between their Governments, in particular in the energy sector;
Pursuant to the Agreement between the Government of the Russian Federation and Government of the Republic of Turkey on cooperation in the field of energy dated December 15, 1997,
Pursuant to the Agreement between the Government of the Russian Federation and the Government of the Republic of Turkey on peaceful uses of nuclear energy dated August 6, 2009 and the Protocol between the Ministry of Energy of the Russian Federation and the Ministry of Energy and Natural Resources of the Republic of Turkey on cooperation in the field of nuclear power engineering dated August 6, 2009,
Being aware that peaceful uses of nuclear energy and nuclear and radiation safety are important factors responsible for social and economic development of the both states,
Seeking to contribute to further cooperation between the two states in the field of peaceful uses of nuclear energy,
Relying on the principles of mutual advantage and equitable cooperation, express their intention to support the concerned entities of the two states and render them the assistance as may be required for implementation of the project for construction of a nuclear power plant at a mutually agreed site in the Republic of Turkey.
Agree that the Parties seek cooperation in the following areas for the purpose of the Project implementation:
- design, construction, commissioning, operation, modernization, testing, maintenance and decommissioning of nuclear power reactors,
- supplies of nuclear materials including nuclear fuel assemblies and equipment for nuclear power reactors and provision of nuclear fuel cycle services including the construction and operation of production units for nuclear fuel fabrication and removal of spent nuclear fuel of Russian origin,
- regulation and provision of nuclear and radiological safety, environmental protection, emergency response planning and radioactive waste management,
- provision of integrity and physical protection of nuclear and radioactive materials,
- technical assistance to Turkish national regulating authority through the methods of personnel training and regulatory framework update,
- industrial scale design, manufacturing, development and production of components and materials to be utilized during construction and operation of nuclear power reactors,
- training and instruction of specialists (Operators, supervisors, technicians, engineers and etc.) for the operation of nuclear power plants, fuel fabrication plant and radioactive waste treatment equipment or facility,
- elaborating a financial model of cooperation between Russia and Turkey.
Agree that for the effective cooperation the following modalities shall be used:
- preparation and fulfillment of contracts;
- establishment of joint working groups on the cooperation topics;
- exchange of experts;
- organization of workshops, meetings, seminars;
- assistance in training scientific and technical personnel;
- exchange of scientific and technical information;
- other forms to be agreed upon by the Parties in written form via diplomatic channels.
Welcome the involvement of Turkish entities and companies to take part during the all phases of the Project implementation on a competitive basis, as much as possible.
Seek the possibility of a relevant intergovernmental agreement being concluded till the first half of 2010 aimed at implementation of the present arrangements on construction of nuclear power plants in the Republic of Turkey.
Agree to establish a working group between the relevant parties in 10 days to work on the following issues:
- average weighted electricity price;
- options for the Owner of the NPP to sell electricity on the free market (the volume and the conditions are to be defined);
- option for the Turkish Government to obtain the percentage of the NPP net profit after the project investments are paid back (the volume and the conditions are to be defined).
Signed in two copies in English language in Moscow, on January 13, 2010.